Monday, August 9, 2010

Our New England "vacation home"

Many years ago, Tim sat down to write a personal goals list. Leadership development guru that he is, he understands that if you don't somehow make your goals clear and unambiguous, you won't know if actually reach them. Among his goals were a trip to Paris (check), an Ohio State-Michigan football game (check), and a trip to Australia (check). Also on that list was a vacation home in New England. Now the debate begins - does a tiny efficiency apartment in New Haven satisfy this goal?

We've spent the past three days dropping some change at IKEA and Bed, Bath & Beyond, spending hours assembling our purchases. This small little apartment in a lovely part of town less than half-mile from the divinity school is starting to look like a home. Funny thing, though. I was thinking about how odd it felt to have signed a lease on a place of my own when I have a beautiful house that I share with Tim and the furry kids. What on earth was I doing?

Well, with all the building and sweating and arranging and laughing and working, we created a new home...together. It's not just my apartment - it's ours. While I'll probably be coming home more often than he will schlep the dogs up to see me, it's still a home that we've established together, so even when I'm there on my own, part of Tim will be there with me, and that's a great comfort to me.

So honey, I'm afraid that the answer is 'yes' - you do have a second home in New England. For me, it's a work-home, but when you come to see me, it's your vacation spot. Congratulations on reaching another personal goal!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elaine, I had to create an account before it would take my comment. Anyway, I am so enjoying reading about your journey, and what a journey it has been. I am so proud to think that you played the piano at our wedding. You were an awesome choir director 12 years ago, and look at you now, on to becoming a priest...I am sending lots of good thoughts and hugs and know you will shine in your classes. The most wonderful thing you ever did for us was to let Tory be in the church choir since he is totally tone deaf. He has never felt like he could be in any other one! You and Tim are the best and I look forward to reading every word you write (when you have time!).

    ReplyDelete