Saturday, August 28, 2010

Home again, home again...

Ah, home! When I walked in the door Friday afternoon, greeted by wagging tails and a husband who missed me (I don't think his was one of the wagging tails, but I can't be sure), it was just what I needed after an exhausting week in New Haven. I'm convinced that the planners of orientation jam as much in as they possibly can in order to wear us out so that we'll actually be relieved by the time classes begin. All in all, it was a very good week, getting acclimated to the Div. School, learning where things are and meeting deans and faculty as well as all the other students.

One of the really great things about Berkeley at Yale is that there is Eucharist every morning except Friday when there is sung Morning Prayer and a later community Eucharist at Marquand Chapel, the Yale Divinity School worship space. Even in this first week, I can sense myself getting into a rhythm of going to St. Luke's Chapel in Berkeley House to start my day, girding myself for whatever the rest of the day will bring. The community worship at 10:30 every morning is as varied in style as the Berkeley ones are solidly Anglican in tradition. Sometimes raucous and always with a lot of loud singing, the whole community - students, faculty, and staff - gathers to worship God, further uniting us even though we come from many faith traditions. It's one of the remarkale things about YDS.

Not only is there a variety of denominations and faiths, the variety of people is equally diverse. There is a sizeable cohort of new students in the vicinity of my age and above. There are also a number of young people right out of undergraduate study. In between lie second-career young folk, Peace Corps veterans, Teach for America alums, and a variety of scholars, seekers, and future chaplains. I have met some fellow students whom I could already call my friends and others who surely will become so. This will undoubtedly be as much an adventure in relationship-building as it will be study.

Too soon, I head back up to New Haven tomorrow for the Berkeley picnic which I don't want to miss. Monday will be a day to do some exploring and meet with the director of the Annand Program for Spiritual Formation to sign up for a small spiritual direction group and private spiritual direction. I'll need both to keep me grounded! Tuesday is registration, the Deans' picnic and an opening convocation at Marquand.

Stay tuned for the class list!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You've gone from one universe to a new one -- I look forward to seeing how *you* enage with and contribute to the new communities at YDS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rhythm of worship really sustains you. So does the fellowship that follows. I can hear echoes of my days there. It's truly enjoyable to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete